Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

About Me


Hey World! My name is Maisha. I am originally from Detroit, Michigan. I decided to start this blog to keep track of my interests in life and my progress out of being “broke”.  I am not classifying myself as poor by any means or as broken in spirit. What I mean by “broke” is being in debt. I have very little credit card debt but I do have a good amount of student loan debt from obtaining my bachelors and masters. Now I am on a quest to pay it all back as fast a possible by living within and/or below my means.

I have a pretty good job in the healthcare field but it always seems hard to get ahead especially when you like to shop and enjoy life as much as I do. In my life I have always taken the practical way by going to school and getting a job in a field that could provide some financial security. Blame my financial circumstance growing up but that is what pushed me into pursing a career in the field of healthcare. While I have always had an interest in healthcare and science, it is merely just that, an interest.

Fast track through several years of school and one would have guessed it...I am still not satisfied. School has always been at the top of my list of goals and now that I have accomplished getting degrees –it’s like what’s next?

True satisfaction involves following one's passion while I have yet to figure out what that is exactly. I thought this blog would help me in pursing my passion whatever that may be. My blog will be about enjoying life and style on the cheap while in search of my passion and in hopes of getting out of debt.

In about a week I turn 29 years old and for me it’s quite scary knowing that I am only 1 year away from 30. People tell me don’t get caught up in a number and its true but 30 years old means so much more to me...its like a 3rd of my life gone..and probably the best part of it. Maybe I shouldn’t think that way but that’s how I feel. Maybe I would not feel so bad about 30 if I would have accomplished things I thought I would have by now. But you know everything happens for a reason and I am grateful and blessed to have another day to make it better!

I wanted to start this blog for years but sometimes I can be an introvert. It’s hard for me to put myself out there and share my thoughts and interests. I usually leave this kind of sharing for the best of friends. But I told myself this year I would step out of my box and share. I said I would try this for a year and see how it goes to my 30th b day.

The theme of this year will be “Create Not Consume”. As people we get so caught up in obtaining “things” but never contribute to anything. With this blog I hope to tap back into my creative mind and not so much into my consumer mentality. Don’t get me wrong this blog will be about fashion and shopping but hopefully I can find balance with it all.

Here are the goals which I hope to achieve within this year:

  • Create a healthy body –consume less carbs, alcohol, and dairy; control portions
  • Create more energy- exercising and eating more living things like fruits and vegetables
  • Create my style portfolio -by compiling things I find beautiful in fashion, art etc. 
  • Create a debt free lifestyle- tracking my budget 
  • Create my own jewelry – modern vintage 
  • Create clothes by taking up sewing and revamping outfits 
  • Create community by meeting new people 
  • Create a conscious closet – DIYs, sale items and thrifting 
  • Create a life closer to God in spirit 
  • Create opportunities to give back
There you have my goals. Follow me on my adventure into my 30s!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear and see more from you. What a great story. As far as your goals...."But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33 Kiah

    ReplyDelete