Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trendsetter Tuesday: Soul Train

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."- Ecclesiastes 1:9

You might be wondering why I quoted this bible verse; well it rings true to not only life but also in fashion. One such example of this is Soul Train. I remember watching old episodes of Soul Train for as long as I can remember. As I got older I enjoyed watching Soul Train not only to laugh at the dance moves and listen to the music of the "good old days" but most importantly to check out the fashions of that time. If you check out the videos I provided below you will see that many of the "new" fashions worn today were definitely inspired by these times represented on Soul Train.





Its so funny when people think they are pushing the fashion envelope today to new heights. Most likely its already been done and these videos are proof of that. I am sure if you talk to any old head you will hear the same thing. So many times I would show my mom and outfit that I thought was hot and she would reply "oh we use to wear that!" And low and behold she would have the very said item in the back of her closet wreaking of mothballs or she would show me an old technicolor looking photograph of her wearing the same outfit leaning on the hood of a Brougham.

Regardless, the fashions of that time inspire me still. They were big risk takers back then and the videos prove that even back then "anything goes". I look up even more so to that generation because a lot of them sewed and designed their own clothes with tight budgets and still managed to look fly!! I don't know about you but I will be watching these videos to find next year's trends!



2 comments:

  1. I love this post and totally relate to it. My mother made all of her clothes during the 70s. Everything that I wear I usually see that she had already worn it! Great post, even greater scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks Elle! I think they had the most fun with fashion back then!

    ReplyDelete