Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

You Must: Protect Your Vision

"Where there is no vision, the people perish" -Proverbs 29:18



Hey Everyone!

Last night it took me sometime to fall asleep. I began to feel overwhelmed with all the things I needed to do. Im not just talking about my daily routine "to do" list. I was thinking about all the things I needed to do to accomplish my goals. The frustration overwhelmed me and hit me with a growing wave of doubt! I started to have negative thoughts as to whether I would make my goals or should I just give up trying because it all seemed too much. And then out of no where a thought in my mind says "no, keep going, don't stop...you must protect your vision".

I began to contemplate that thought because it is so true. The things you love you must protect. Boxer, Flloyd Mayweather said it best "Protect your self at all times" after he knocked out Ortiz who tried to end his career by headbutting him in the ring. 

 Whether it be friend, family or foe there are going to be people in your life who will not support you. They will doubt you, not encourage you or tell you that it can't be done. And to them this is true because either they can't see themselves doing it or they haven't accomplished their own goals. People put their ability from what they have done or not done and try to put that off on you. They tell you that's not reality. The truth is reality is what you believe it to be

I live by the quote that "Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity". People who say stuff like "well that's reality" are limiting their lives. My thinking however is if you accept whatever it is people say you should then that is all you will ever get. Why not think that more can be done? Why not expect more out of reality? Why is reality usually so negative or limiting?

One of the best ways to protect your vision is to create a vision board. On this board you can compile images and words of what you want your life to look like. Below I have posted my vision board for my life. It serves as a visual display of inspiration and motivation for my life.




Also, practice mentally imagining yourself already in that vision. Visualization exercises will help you to believe that it can be true in your life. You will start to align your thinking and actions in accordance with your vision. One saying that I love and it totally relates to fashion is that "if you want to be in a certain position in life then you have to dress the part". You have to not only physically but mentally and emotionally put yourself into the place you want to be in life.

Other things you can do:
  • Write down all of your goals - If I don't see it in writing its less real to me and lost in my other thoughts. Writing it down makes it more concrete. 
  • Write a personal mission statement- If you don't know what you are here for then whats the point!? "People who stand for nothing will fall for anything" - Malcolm X
  • Do at least one thing that you are scared to do -Become comfortable with being uncomfortable. This is when you learn how strong you are and you push yourself past your limits.
  • Do a little something each day -"Rome wasn't built in a day" and neither will your empire be. Start small and work your way up. When you start to see all that you have accomplished you will want to do more and more.
  • Read, watch and listen - Do less talking and more listening, reading and observing of positive influences.
  • Research -Know your stuff! Immerse yourself into your craft. Find a mentor who can teach you the ropes.
  • Pray, meditate, stay focused - When you live, eat, breathe and pray for your dreams they become all that counts and matters. You will be willing to do whatever it takes; and nothing anyone can say or do will stop you from attaining those dreams.

Things to remember:
  • You are your biggest enemy- protect your thoughts of self doubt and negativity.   
  • Be careful who you tell your dreams -Like I said above people's visions of what you should be whether intentional or not can overcome your own thoughts of yourself. Think for yourself.
  • Keep perspective - You may become overwhelmed and depressed but remember: "There are people in life who wish they had your problems".
  • Keep God first - Most importantly, "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." -Proverbs 37:4 


Until Next time...Stay Blessed!!




14 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow!
    This post was great! love your vision board! Everything you brought up is on point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words of wisdom! God has a plan for all of our lives. The problem with us is we want everything now. God's will is in His timing not ours. We must wait on the Lord and pray for direction. Pray that whatever it is that you think you want/need in your life for God to show you His will. You must be obedient to God even if you don't like His response. He will show you....walk in the spirit! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  3. @FashDET Thanks! I had been putting off creating this and finally finished.

    @Kiah Thank you! I love that you made this point..At the end of the day it is all about God's will for our lives regardless of what we think we want or need. We have to acknowledge him to direct our paths and in his own way he will gives us the true desires of our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for writing this post. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed, and I start thinking all these negative thoughts along the lines of what you wrote.

    Then I remember that even if I never achieve what I dream of, it's better to try and knowing you tried than always wonder...

    And I have a vision board too. It's so useful to staying in track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Yirssi, Thanks for commenting! That is so true better to try than not try and always wonder! I would love to see your vision board :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey lady I updated the post with close ups of the shoes and accessories, just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post and your vision. What stuck with me the most is "why not expect more out of reality?" That is about to be my theme for the rest of this year and the next! Keep the inspiration coming!!!!

    Elle
    http://istylellc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LIKE THIS!!!! This was a word in due season for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Gen321 Thanks I am glad that I could provide some encouragement..we all need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post! I am going to begin to write down my goals, I remember doing that as a teen and got out of it. I am going to construct a board and see what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @TO..yall can't wait to see your board!

    ReplyDelete